Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Now That I'm 26...

Here's 26 songs that I love.

Starting now with:


 26. Eleven Miles Out. By Doves. Now, anyone who knows me should know that Doves are one of my favorite bands. There's a calmness and a depressing side to their music. Now, this song is about being eleven miles out in a darker sea and sailing away. Now, this deep cut is interesting because Doves rarely curse and the line, "Don't let the f---less grind you down." feels perfect. It's a b-side to their Some Cities album; which had the overall theme of needing to find a place to fit in.

25. So I like shoegazer music and UK bands. And they just happen to be depressing sometimes. Rob Dickinson's band, (The) Catherine Wheel had a great song called, "Eat My Dust You Insensitive F---" which is nothing at all like the title. The song is about being better than how you are and not settling.

24. The Sunny Day Real Estate is perhaps one of my guiltier bands on my playlist. I'd like to say that Seven was probably the first song from them that I fell in love with. Just start listening to this song and "You taste it, you taste it. In time."

23. I can't move away from the Sunny Day Real Estate without wanting to mention The Fire Theft. Now, Jeremy was the vocalist for both bands. And while Heaven is not their best track, it was the first track I heard after SDRE broke up.

22. Kasabian's Underdog. It's a motivational song to me. I know, I have a weird taste in music and everything, but this song's about not being taken down easily. Definitely a great song that often finds its way on my playlist.


21. I'm from New Jersey and not in love with Bruce or Bon Jovi so I have to compromise. And with that compromise, I'll give you The Gaslight Anthem.  "That '59 Sound" is such an upbeat song with such dark lyrics.

20. The acoustic sounds of Jeffrey Gaines will always be in my head. While his cover of "In Your Eyes" will come to my mind, I cannot neglect his own work. Coming in at #20, is "Hero In Me."

19. Moby's "Mistake." Great lyrics and great visuals. Enough said. :)

18. The late Elliot Smith with "Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands" comes in on my list.

17. Now this is funny; a rare b-side cover of a b-side from Dynamite Hack. Yes, Dynamite Hack made a cover/b-side of a deepcut of their own music.  I liked the original but this version with the vocalist's sister singing and doing the song on the piano gave a great song a different meaning.

16.  In the last two years of my life, I have started to crush on this band called The Receiving End of Sirens. With deep emotions entrenched with great instrumentals, each one of their songs tells a story. "Pale Blue Dot" is a great romance story.

15. Hailing from the UK is the amazing Idelwild with "Tell Me Ten Words." I've actually used the lyrics from this song on a couple first dates as a conversation piece. I'd like to know the ten words people would use to describe the world to people. ;)

14. "Nrrrd Grrrl" by MC Chris. It's a cute love song by Hess/MC Pee Pants from Adult Swim. MC Chris and I might not agree on a lot of things but we have the same taste in women, apparently.

13. 65daysofstatic's "Drove Through The Ghosts To Get Here" is a beautiful experimental sound. If I had to pick a song from their discography, it would have to be this one.

12. Now, this isn't as easy it seems. I'm trying to cram all my favorites in a small grouping and also think what counts. Plus, as you can see, I'm running out of steam. So, for #12, I give you Cake's "The Distance."

11. M83's "We Own The Sky" is a new addiction but the song is so great, it deserves to be on this list down here. The song, to me, is about how humans think we have the rights to do whatever we want and then end up being able to stop it.

And now we are in the last 10.

10. Collective Soul was there for me during the 90s and up until college. Dosage was the first CD I recall buying with my own money. "Run" was the song that I burnt out CD players on because I'd loop it.

9. "Do You Believe In Me?" by The Juliana Theory makes it in at a spot near the top songs that I love. With energy, great lyrics, and instrumentals, this band bypasses other great bands like Muse and Jimmy Eat World.

8.


8. The band known as Stabbing Westward was a great band. "Save Yourself" will always be the best song they ever did.

7. A's "Monkey Kong" takes the seventh spot.

6. Jacob Dylan covering David Bowie. How can we not like that? The Wallflowers did this amazing track, "Heroes."


5. In 2001, I found The Beautiful Mistake. In 2005, I saw them at CBGBs.  I'll always remember who I am and "This Is Who You Are."

4. "Sultans of Swing" by Dire Straits play into this spot. Several long drives at night with the windows down and this song being blasted as I sped into the abyss.

3. Sean will tell you that he thinks I am the goth by from New Jersey. Because I like Tim Burton? No. It's because I love Depeche Mode and The Cure. "Fly On The Windscreen" is actually my favorite Depeche Mode song.

2. The Clash is my favorite punk band. "Magnificent Seven" is a must for any Clash fan.

1. And now, I can finally rest... "Dead Man's Party" by Oingo Boingo seals the position for favorite song of all time.


FIN!





1 comment: