Tuesday, August 17, 2010

All Mashed Up.

Several years ago, I discovered Funeral For A Friend and this was during the Limewire phase. I ended up downloading a mash up called "Your Funeral For A Friend" which was Saves The Day and Funeral For A Friend spliced together by Legion of Doom. Now, I dislike Saves The Day. But LoD made me like that song. And of course, I loved the Super Friends reference for their name. I was picturing Lex Luthor mixing up tracks and beats. At that point LoD became a regular in my iTunes and so did anything they did.

So I spent my college years rocking out to LoD on my little iPod shuffle with whatever else I could fit on the gig. With my degree in history as my focus, I got into some political debates particularly in my Urban History classes, America in the 20th Century: Where Are We, Where Were We, And Where Are Going (hosted by one of the greatest minds I've ever encountered; Neil Baldwin)  and my Senior Semester with Dr. Jeff Strickland (who I also had for my Urban History classes and was my mentor by choice).

Under the mentorship of Dr. Strickland, I did a lot of my research for modern American history on what I deemed as an important issue; the aftermath of September 11th.  In 2006, I did a full report on the fifth year anniversary. I actually went to Ground Zero itself for the fifth anniversary to start that report and I was ever inspired, touched, and saddened at the same time. There was so much energy, it was impossible to feel anything. 

Photo Collage From My Fifth Anniversary Research Project
A semester later, I did my final undergrad research on a paper that I called, "The Muslims Take Manhattan" which focused on the Muslim culture in New York City. What I learned from that topic was that quiet community there now was forced to show themselves and be more open about their culture. They were showing that they wanted to not be considered the same as the guilty parties that were involved. The Muslims in Manhattan and the terrorists just happened to share the same religious background and not the same beliefs or values. It was a series of interesting interviews and trips into Manhattan to do this project. One of memories I have was riding the train from Montclair into Penn Station to do this; while being accompanied with my iPod's playlist for companionship. Incorporated by Legion of Doom was a staple as it was a fresh album.

Now, fast forward from Spring 2007 to present Summer 2010. At my job today, I was helping a woman who was telling me about how she lost her son in the Trade Towers. He was an average person like any of us, just doing his office work. There was such a sadness in her story yet a calmness and serenity in her voice as she told me his life story. I learned a lot from her too. 

So, still with me? Okay, turn on CNN. Turn on Glenn Beck. Turn on any news channel. There is such a huge media frenzy with the news stations about the idea of a mosque being built at Ground Zero. Now, let's clarify the issue. The mosque itself is not physically going to be built on Ground Zero's soil. It's going to be built near where the Trade Towers were. As in a couple blocks away. Politicians are fighting over the issue; one group arguing over the sensitivity of allowing it while the others respond with that it is legally acceptable. But then again, this blog isn't for politics, so we're not going to set the stage for that debate so I will digress and continue to go with the significance of this build up. I'm taken back to my research back in 2007 and those train rides with my iPod. And Legion of Doom. This whole thing reminds me of their work, "Hands Down Ghandi."

Dashboard Confessional is has always had good instrumentals. It was their emo lyrics and vocals that prevented them from being a great band in my world. Though Further Seems Forever is another story. Anyway, back on topic. Legion of Doom cannibalized Dashboard's instrumentals and salvaged the vocals and lyrics from Sage Francis's "Slow Down Ghandi." Legion of Doom reordered the lyrics from Sage Francis and used the chorus from "Hands Down" to make this song. Even though I dislike Sage Francis' original work, I like parts of his lyrics and most of the meanings they reference.

So long story short, with all the political coverage of this mosque issue, I'm just thinking of my college years on a similar topic; which brings me to our Stuck On Loop song of the day. 




2 comments: