Thursday, August 26, 2010

Grab A Kazoo, Let's Have A Duel!

So I may have been getting heavy with all the political subjects lately so I'm going to take it back a couple steps and talk about the amazingly underrated Australian electronic band called "The Avalanches." Now most people don't know of any really good bands from Australia besides INXS but now, you can say you know of a second one; The Avalanches.

Now, I'm not going to lie and say I know a lot about this band. Or their discography. Actually, what I do know is that my iTunes is completely lacking in this band and that all I have to listen to them is from YouTube and a friend of mine, let's call him Mac or Sam, introduced me to the one song that I know by them about a year ago.

And this song is called... Frontier Psychiatrist. 

Now, instrumentally, this song is catchy, with various sampling, scratching, and drum beats. The lyrics are like a hodgepodge of various people saying probably the most random things you can ever hear. After checking up with Wikipedia, I came to this discovery; "The song contains samples from 37 spoken word records.[1] The main choir and organ sample is taken from the Enoch Light recording "My Way of Life", and the track's opening words are taken from the John Waters film Polyester. Also sampled are audio samples from comedians Flip Wilson and Wayne and Shuster (the latter whose track "Frontier Psychiatrist" serves as the basis for the track), drums from Harvey Mandel's "Wade in the Water", a sample from the movie The Burbs, "Overture" by Maurice Jarre and the guitar from Flo Sandon's' "El Negro Zumbon". The horse squeal is also taken from Mel and Tim's Good Guys Only Win In The Movies."

To top it off, the audio is not just the masterpiece. The music video is amazing. Seriously...  The drumming grandma, the ghosts dancing, and anything else. I really like the coconut puppet.

2 comments:

  1. I can send you a burned copy of 'Since I left you' - great album

    ReplyDelete
  2. This song and video are both so unique and memorable. The Avalanches are awesome!

    ReplyDelete