Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Where Is This Life That You Had?

There are several songs that kind of are a wake up call to you, the listener. This one, particularly, is the defining song of a band called Low vs Diamond. In 2008, Rolling Stone credited these Americans with the being one of the six bands that are defining pop and rock. So today, I present to you, "This Is Your Life."

With guitars that belong out of a Travis album, Low vs Diamond instantly captivates my attention with their sound of melancholily. A slow drumbeat matches the stings and sets the pace as frontman Lucas Field's vocals dig deeply into you when you listen to the lyrics. It's a perfect audial concept that is executed by a band that may, perhaps, be going nowhere.


Greatly written lyrical lines such as, "You reached for the sun; afraid of the day." make up the chorus with other great lines  such as:
And after work you are so tired but still a star
So I waited all day by your side
It's starting to wear on my pride
So go do what you want
I won't ask why
'Cause I'm leaving all this by my side
And I'm starting to wear all my pride
This song is clearly, about someone no longer willing to be manipulated or controlled but not wishing to fight with the oppressor. 

The debut album from Low vs Diamond is their only published work; with very little reason elsewhere to believe that there could be a second album since the release of their self-titled album in 2008. They were amazing when I saw them live in 2009 with Jack's Mannequin and Matt Nathanson.

Honestly, with this indie band from California, I'd like to see them pair up with New York's Longwave for a tour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment