Monday, July 12, 2010

Supermarket Music (Jewel 'Standing Still')

It's as prevalent as the rush of air conditioning, the smell of the produce and bakery as well as the florescent lighting. The soundtrack you hear when you enter a supermarket has a similar numbing effect the lighting. It's inoffensive (at least it's meant to be), the audio quality is horrible, and for the most part, it's associated with uncoolness.

But if you're a music geek, you know supermarket music can throw you some severe curveballs. I remember going through the aisles of our local Bag and Save and hearing a deep track from Tori Amos' Boys For Pele. Sadly, the only time I tend to hear any Cowboy Junkies music other than The Trinity Session on the radio is at the supermarket. So, in that realm, I tip my Red Sox cap to supermarket music.

But generally, its main purpose is to lull you into complacency. It can't be too overpowering, because you may zone off on the music rather than keep you buying as much as you can. And the best example of supermarket music I can think of is Jewel's "Standing Still."

I didn't know who sang the song. I didn't know the song title. All I know is that I hear it when I go into almost every supermarket. The only thing I knew from the song is that the chorus sounded something like "or am I standing still." Thank Google for filling in the gaps.

In terms of the song, it's nothing. I respect Jewel - and am amazed about her upbringing (no indoor plumbing) and despite all of her riches, I still won't forget she lived in a van while trying to make it. But the chorus, like much of her music, is absolutely draining. It's catchy enough to remember, but its droney style is sleep-inducing. It's hypnotic for all the wrong reasons. It casts a spell, putting a glaze over your eyes. And at that time, all you know is that even though you came to buy that one thing at the supermarket, you probably need some detergent, and some butter and maybe a pint of Ben and Jerry's.

To quote a line from The Replacements: I'll buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy

No comments:

Post a Comment