Sunday, March 13, 2011

When Criticism Just Doesn't Matter

I know I'm in a state of at least mild depression when Aimee Mann becomes a recurring fixture on my 5-disc CD changer. She has always been well liked by critics, and reached her critically-adorned peak with the Magnolia soundtrack, which did feature some of her best work. However, the song that routinely gets me is "Video" from her Forgotten Arm album.

I would love to tell you it's the chorus, or the expert placement of mandolin that makes the song so memorable. But honestly, it just always hits the bullseye emotion-wise. It's sort of like if you have a shoulder injury, and there's that one exercise that will always feel like a cut going straight for the bone.

For music, that's when you know you have your personal favorite. When no amount of critical feedback, either pro or con will sway your opinion of the track in the slightest. It's your song.




No comments:

Post a Comment