Monday, June 21, 2010

Your Velvet Heaven.

The chilling vocals of Dave Gahan and the eerie synthetic instrumentals merge to manufacture one of the greatest songs that everyones' playlist has at least played a couple good hundred times.

Originally Composition of Sound, this one band will always be the public guilty pleasure that I will find myself listening to. Sure, call me the gothic boy from NJ because I listen to Depeche Mode and The Cure. Go ahead, but I also listen to other bands like London After Midnight, Stabbing Westward, Gravity Kills --- oh, I just proved your point. Well, let's counterbalance that with the fact that I'm also a Clash, Dire Straits, Relient K, Skillet, Jimmy Eat World, and a ton more of other bands that aren't gothic/stoic/etc.

So what makes Depeche Mode's "Only When I Lose Myself" so pretty special? The eerie reality that it brings to the listener. It's a song about someone you shouldn't love but you do. It's a song about that person you want to forget but you cannot bring yourself to. It's about loving someone who is out of bounds. It's love at its truest form.

I think Depeche Mode knows the definition of love in this song so perfectly well. This song is about love, taking all the associated risks involved with love, losing control, and giving yourself to another person. Sure that simples but you cannot always try to be in control of everything; including who your heart goes out to. Depeche Mode recognizes that part of this song perfectly well and then adds in another part that makes this song even more amazing; the fact that there is a complete happiness when you fall into this hypnotizing state. It's like you're giving up all control and happiness should be the exact opposite feeling that you're experience but yet, for some reason, you're fine with it all.

I can feel the emptiness inside me fade & disappear
There's a feeling of content that now you are here
I feel satisfied
I belong inside
Your velvet heaven

It's those moments like this that make life worth living for. The eeriness of this song is hypnotic; like you're paralyzed by the trance of the songs meaning. 

I'm not in love at the moment. But it's an experience I believe I had a couple times before and hope to share again. Will I? Hopefully. Will you? It's something to aim for.  And so should you with this sensual song. 

Also, watch the video! 




WARNING: Tangent ahead. 

So what brought on this lovey dovey stuff today? I put on Depeche Mode on my iTunes and got a couple remixes of this song and decided to listen to all of them since each remix/remake/etc captures this message. 

Truth be told: I'm feeling very very Oingo Boingo!  




No comments:

Post a Comment