Monday, March 29, 2010

I Can't Come Down

The brainchild of this site has incredible music taste. I've known him for almost a decade and when I first saw his music list on myspace, I didn't know whether to be optimistic for the next generation or intensely concerned for one individual. After all, a 19-year-old who proudly lists Cowboy Junkies, Morphine and Catherine Wheel in their 'favorites' is either going to grow up to be extremely cool or more than a tad on the depressive side.

That said, both of us have horrible track records when it comes to introducing one another to different music. As much as I try, I can't for the life of me get into The Beautiful Mistake or Funeral For a Friend. And I know Scott will listen politely to Animal Collective, but I'm pretty sure my IM link will be forgotten after a listen.

Still, there are victories. Both of us agree Moby's last album was a strong effort. Scott has got me into the Doves. And I'm happy to have played some role in getting him into The National.

I got into The National after hearing great word-of-mouth about Boxer. The album was morose, brooding and instantly listenable. If there was a complaint against Boxer it would be the album was too nuanced and calculated. Nothing felt out of place. That can't be said for Alligator.

When I first heard the lacerating single "Abel," I found it difficult to believe it was The National. It borderlined on heavy metal. Matt Berninger's sneer "My mind's not right" felt downright cathartic given the tight unification that was Boxer. When Berninger sings "I can't come down," it's far from a gleeful declaration. It's downright unsettling.


1 comment:

  1. I actually was concerned the moment when I found myself listening to The National. I remember actually IMing you and questioning how I had their discography in iTunes and blaming you for that. In anyways, I think I turned out to be depressively cool.

    ReplyDelete